Time to pause....


The transition time between summer camp and getting ready for the new school year is always a time of almost non-stop work, and this year has been no exception.  These past few weeks have been especially full – there have been a few times where I’ve felt stretched beyond my capacity.  My mind has often been racing and completely occupied by the things we need completed.

But now, as I’ve learned from experience, it is time to pause.

I need to enjoy the world around me.  I know from taking the time to enjoy what is happening in my day  I can return to work with a stronger mindset!

I need a good laugh!  I real life, not one from a you tube video.  I need to put on some music in my house and dance with joy.  I need to put my toes in my pool and wiggle them and feel alive.  I need to .... well I can't plan it all out.  I need to go outside and not think about work for a few hours.  Taking this time to just pause, live and enjoy will rejuvenate my soul, my mind and my heart.  To be the best mom, wife, director, self, I need to do this, and I need to do it today.

You can’t put off taking “a pause for breath.”  When you feel it, you have to do it – even if you can only get yourself a few hours - or you risk the feeling of being burnt out creeping into your everyday life.

So … as I head out into my day to enjoy living, it struck me that maybe this is something we could do more to address in our roles as educators and parents.  How do we teach this practice?  Do we encourage the children in our class to take a moment and pause?  Do we value and appreciate and support self-care? 

I am looking forward to heading into the classes this week.  I am going to sit on the floor and build in a block center, I am going to sit at a kitchen center and have a pretend snack, I am going to read books in our class libraries, I am going to take out a container of loose parts and place them in a design....I am going to play and be present with a group of students that will teach me and show me the joy in everyday living.  I am going to listen to them and watch them and smile with them.  I might run to a classroom with a child that is eager to start their day.  I am going to embrace the joy that comes in everyday living wholeheartedly.  I am so thankful to the children that help me do this in our school.  

This weekend I will do this for myself, in my own back yard because I need it.  What do you need today or in the upcoming weekend?  Do you have the experience that lets you know when you need to take a break?

Are you good at “stopping to smell the roses”, or do you need more practice? 

Have a great night!
Robin 
Image result for feet in a pool
  

Comments

Popular Posts