What if Our Children Learn Better Independently?

I sometimes wonder if we have schools and the roles of teachers all wrong.  As I watch children play with each other, I see they have the ability to learn so much and so joyfully. What would happen if we approached the teacher's role entirely differently when children came into a class?  Do we enhance their learning or interrupt their learning? Do we define the learning to be what we think it should be when the children innately know better? As a person with a degree in education, this is a pretty unsettling thought.  Can a two-year-old be smarter than me in the process of teaching? Perhaps this is not exactly the right question to ask, but at what point are we - the educators and parents – helpful,  and at what point should we back off? 

Over the past 21 years I have been watching children in an early childhood setting.  When we put out materials, time and time again they impress me with their many skills and ideas.  They work together through disagreement and agreement, they negotiate, they challenge each other, and they figure out new ideas while trying out old ideas over and over again - often with screams of joy and laughter.

The other day I watched 3 two-year-old children pass a bucket back and forth, dumping out the contents and laughing for 38 minutes.  The teacher said had I not been in the room she would have given each of them their own bucket to play with and explore.  Here I paused and thought to myself, “At what point do we as teachers interrupt their play and at what point do we enhance their play?  As I discussed this with a different teacher, she said, "I knew it!" I am not doing anything but watching and listening, and honestly that is not the answer either.  I do think we sit in a tension inside the classroom and at home as well, as we live alongside our children in their journey of obtaining knowledge.  The way we pull on this tension is important.

Watch children play.  Put out interesting materials and see what they do.  See how they surprise you, and ask yourself “At what point do I want to jump in, and are my questions encouraging thoughtful wonderings or am I quizzing them?  When children work alone and in small groups they are amazing!  For children of all ages adults need to be a little quieter.  “Intentionally uninvolved.” When there's conflict – wait!  Don't jump in.  First, see if they resolve it on their own and then go back to playing together.  They doalmost all of the time! When we jump in we often create a negative environment.  We disrupt the powerful and meaningful play experience that is happening.  Children are significantly more compassionate and forgiving than adults.  They will show you what we as humans are capable of if we watch and learn from them.

Notice the way they listen to each other; sharing ideas and trying new things.  What is most exciting is their excitement and joy as they move through this process.  When was the last time you cheered for yourself when something went well?  Let me tell you, from watching my little friends - it feels awesome!  Today, take some time to cheer for yourself or someone you work with, live with, or coexist with.  The positive energy these children exude throughout the day is something I want to learn from!

Put out materials that are new and different and watch how children challenge themselves.  They ask each other questions and they watch each other carefully as they explore new ideas.  They are so honest and expressive with their emotions as they work

Listen to the questions they ask each other with no fear and no apologies; just curiosity, wonder, and interest.  

Watch the way they walk, they skip, they wave their arms, they hold hands with each other, they touch, they bounce, they hug.

Today, go out there and live like a child.  Let them be our teachers and perhaps today we will learn a little more and we will be joyful and confident!





Comments

Popular Posts